file Catatonic Fear question

05 May 2014 14:00 #61868 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Catatonic Fear question

James, is horseshoes envirnmental, or direct, simce its non striking but says "inflict"?

Petra horseshoes do agg? Thinking no, but you get the idea.but per text, id say yes.

Name: Horseshoes
Cardtype: Action
Discipline: Potence
[pot] (D) Inflict 1 unpreventable damage on a ready minion.
[POT] (D) Inflict 2 unpreventable damage on a ready minion.

The minion that plays it inflicts the damage. So Petra would inflict aggravated damage on a Baali with it.

Name: Petra
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Nosferatu
Group: 4
Capacity: 5
Discipline: aus ANI OBF
Camarilla: Damage Petra inflicts on Baali is aggravated. A vampire burns an additional blood whenever he or she uses a press to continue combat with Petra.

On the other hand, Basilia wouldn't deal aggravated damage (Horseshoes doesn't inflict "hand damage")

Name: Basilia
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Gangrel
Group: 1
Capacity: 10
Discipline: obf pot ANI FOR PRO
Camarilla primogen: Damage from Basilia's hand strikes is aggravated.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2014 15:10 - 05 May 2014 15:10 #61872 by jamesatzephyr

James, is horseshoes envirnmental, or direct, simce its non striking but says "inflict"?

"Inflict" has been ruled to mean the damage comes from the minion. Outside the Hourglass is probably the most relevant card here. Also, Pulled Fangs has - at several points in the past - just said "inflict 1 (aggravated - removed later} damage", though its card text is now clearer.

e.g. [LSJ 20100413]
Last edit: 05 May 2014 15:10 by jamesatzephyr.

More
05 May 2014 19:21 #61880 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Catatonic Fear question

Dodges don't counter Combat Ends.

Uh, yes they do.

6.4.5. Strike Effects
Dodge.
A dodge strike deals no damage, but it protects the dodging minion and his possessions (cards on him) from the effects of the opposing strike. Retainers are not protected, however. A dodge is effective at any range. A dodge protects even from the effects of a strike done with first strike. (A dodge is a strike, even though it is solely defensive. It represents the activity of the minion during that pair of strikes.)

"protects... from the effects of the opposing strike." is pretty self-explanatory.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
06 May 2014 00:00 #61888 by CalibanX
Strike: Combat Ends is explained in the Rulebook, section 6.4.5. Strike Effects, as follows:

Combat Ends. This effect ends combat immediately. This type of strike is always the first to resolve, even before a strike done with first strike, and it ends combat before other strikes or other strike resolution effects are resolved. Combat ends is effective at any range. Combat ends is not affected by a dodge, since dodge only cancels effects that are directed at the dodging minion.

More
06 May 2014 02:47 #61889 by ReverendRevolver
You cant avoid combat ending by dodging, but, as stated by the rules, it negates effects of a strike as applicable to the dodger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
06 May 2014 05:44 - 08 May 2014 05:37 #61891 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Catatonic Fear question

Combat ends is not affected by a dodge, since dodge only cancels effects that are directed at the dodging minion.

You managed to highlight just the relevant part on how Dogdge vs. Combat End works!

Yet, apparently it isn't clear (to you) how the text reads, but like Reverend just said, even though Dodge doesn't cancel the actual Combat Ends (= the combat will end), but any effects the Combat End would have on the Dodger (or her possessions such as Retainers or* Equipments etc) are nullified by Dodge.

Perhaps and example would clarify:

PLAYER A: My strike is Combat End which also causes 1 Damage to opposing minion.
PLAYER B: Well, since I have 0 blood I'd go to toropr. So I rather play a Dodge and avoid the damage you deal. Unfortunately the Dodge I played has no effect on the combat ending part of your strike so combat will still end because of your strike.

NOTE: It doesn't matter if you'd add "after the combat", "3 rounds from now", "once next player is ousted" or anything to the Player A's sentence(/strike) -the Dodge card Player B played will still protect his minion (and it's possessions) from all the effects of the Player A's strike.

Sometimes the rules are a bitch to grasp so I really hope this helps!

EDIT: * My case point being the part of my answer regarding retainers since according to the same part of the rules " Retainers are not protected, however." Pays to read the full relevant text, even if you are answering in a hurry :)

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 08 May 2014 05:37 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds