file Catatonic Fear question

04 May 2014 15:13 - 04 May 2014 15:17 #61825 by CalibanX
The way I'm interpreting CF, isn't that it's a "damage dealing strike with combat ends", but rather, that it's a combat ends strike with environmental damage that triggers when combat is over. ?

It's more like how Drawing out the beast works: During the press step you take 1 damage. You can't Dodge that, so it seems odd to me that you would be able to dodge damage occurring after combat is resolved.
Last edit: 04 May 2014 15:17 by CalibanX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2014 15:21 #61827 by brandonsantacruz
Catatonic Fear
[Combat] Combat
Presence
[1 Blood]
 Strike: combat ends.
 As above, and inflict 1 damage to the opposing minion once combat ends if the range is close.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
04 May 2014 15:23 - 04 May 2014 16:58 #61828 by ReverendRevolver

The way I'm interpreting CF, isn't that it's a "damage dealing strike with combat ends", but rather, that it's a combat ends strike with environmental damage that triggers when combat is over. ?

Its damage, and its on a card after the "strike:" part. So.......

There is most likely a better explaination, with LSJ citation even. But, its one of two examples in the current game where a strike ends combat THEN opponent takes damage. So, easy eay to see it is the strike card does two things, tells you when the secind happens, and rules say dodge dodges.

Envirnmental isnt a keyword in rules (should be, but before james hits me with a digital brick to the head, thats another conversation and i dont care that much) but is a term used for crows, blood of acid, and weather control style timings(b4 range, during strike res, after strike res, specifically) so timing is kinda still in combat (red card window) at that point, not after or before like burn a blood to block effects or cf stuff, so skin of night et al are playable in combat. Envirnmental is in combat though. Out of combat ie horseshoes is non combat. Just like talbotz xhainsaw hitting your minion, redcards wont matter. Dodging a strike, like flash grenade(maybe, no time to check) wjere a carx is placed on a minion after combat, is similar ish.

Edit: riposte and cf are the only examples i know of with damage done after ce. Oblouette has a similar effect, of burning blood or life after combat.
Effects like these can be dodged, as can things like inf bond with the mountain(i think thats the onexwhere you both untap for vis) or meld with the land at vic. In those examples, you dodge an effect, albeit one you may have wanted(unless you are anima gathering someone inportant and about got metagamed, i suppose) but you still dodge the beneficial untapping effect so it doesnt hit/effect you. Flash grenade is the same way, all those effects are dodgeable.
If you dodge wither, just like if you dodge morphean blow, the strike doesnt hit you and the card doesnt gi on you.

Sorry for thinking morphaen blow was something else earlier. End of edit.
Last edit: 04 May 2014 16:58 by ReverendRevolver.

More
04 May 2014 18:00 #61838 by CalibanX
Thanks for all the input. I think I got it now. :)

More
04 May 2014 19:00 #61840 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Catatonic Fear question
Dodge strikes don't resolve. They are effective from the moment they're played.
When the Catatonic Fear resolves, it ends combat then inflicts 1 damage. The dodge card played during combat will protect you from that damage.

groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/WUWh7AdooDU/8y8v9PpKmC8J

Since the damage is inflicted after combat has ended, you can't play a combat card to prevent it.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
05 May 2014 06:34 #61844 by jamesatzephyr

It's not environmental. Damage from strikes comes from the striking minion.

Thus Memories of Mortality (now banned, of course) reduces the damage done from a Catatonic Fear to an ally. [LSJ 19990723]

> A vampire with Memories of Mortality engages in combat with an ally.
> For the vampires strike, he plays a superior catatonic fear.
>
> Does the ally take damage?

He takes zero damage. Memories of Mortality reduces damage done by the
vampire to allies to zero. Damage from a strike (even an odd one like
Catatonic Fear) is "done by" the striking minion [RTR 30-JUN-1997], so
would be reduced by Memories.

Any damage this vampire inflicts on allies is reduced to 0.

Similarly, Petra using a Catatonic Fear like strike would deal aggravated damage to a Baali:
Damage Petra inflicts on Baali is aggravated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds