file Black Chantry Rulebook Feedback

14 Feb 2019 00:17 #93464 by LivesByProxy

Very good reminder on immune. Which is distinct form "Treats as normal" which does have a small paragraph at the end of 6.4.6.

Just a reminder that seeds of corruption was banned for just be confusing on the same way.

This is because much in the same way that Requirement and Cost is poorly explained in the rulebook there is no rule/definition about "Vampire special abilities"
Seeds of Corruption
+1 stealth action.
The vampire's special abilities cannot be used.
Vampire special abilities are mentioned to exist in 1.5 but then never explained.

In fact paragraph 6.1.3. Equip and 6.1.4. Employ Retainer go out of their way to confuse this even more:
6.1.3. Equip (+1 stealth)
Equipment cards are action cards that give minions special abilities.
(similar for Retainers)

So "Seeds Of Corruption" Surpresses equipment cards attached to a vampire as well? But it doesn't surpress the title because i am playing a politics deck and i need my 4 Votes. But Lazvernius doesnt get his +2 strength because he already hurts too much with POT. And how about other permanents in play? Like a Repulsion?

This is why I suggest BC look at the way FFG does their LCGs. What a keyword is is clearly defined, and a list of keywords is given. FFG's LCGs also make substantial (and interesting) use of subtypes. Then, cards can specifically reference 'keywords' or subtypes in the text box. For example, "while in combat, [name] loses the 'Retaliate' keyword." Likewise, FFG has this consistent card-effect that they've printed multiple times in different games, usually on a card that you put on an enemy: "Treat [that card] as though it's text-box were blank."

I also had an argument discussion . . . talk with Ankha about what a keyword is or isn't. All of the titles (Prince, Bishop, Cardinal, etc.) are effectively keywords, but according to Ankha, VTES does not have keywords, only 'special terms', which titles aren't. I thought the use of '(Limited.)' in the Black Chantry cards was adoption of a new keyword, but Ankha assures me that Limited is not a keyword either, nor a special term, but is just a reminder that "no more bleed modifiers can be played this action." Which means that the word in reminder text (i.e. Limited) could have, and might need, it's own reminder text.

Fun playing with traits (i.e. subtypes).

Cancel a card's effects (compare to confusion about "cancel that card as it is played" in VTES.)

Blanking printed text-boxes as a way of turning off special abilities.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2019 07:52 - 14 Feb 2019 07:53 #93466 by Ankha
Just a reminder: Seeds of Corruption is banned for a reason. :)
Until the new rulebook is out, at least.

And Frozen Solid was far better before.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 14 Feb 2019 07:53 by Ankha.

More
16 Feb 2019 05:55 #93487 by Sydnelson

Just a reminder: Seeds of Corruption is banned for a reason. :)
Until the new rulebook is out, at least.

And Frozen Solid was far better before.

I want Anthelious back!!! Make a change to its effect to consume all MPAs like:

skip entirely master phase and MPAs to exchange a card master card from their hand with a master from ash heap. (skipping the master phase will prevent player to make more than one MPA and also will skip usage of many good effects in game like Blood Doll, Chantry and many others)

or

As the first MPA each turn a Metuselah can exchange a master card from their hand with a master card from their ash heap, if he or she do so they can not use more MPAs this turn.

Fernando Cesar - Sydnelson
LackeyCCG and OCTGN VtES Mantainer

:adv: :camarilla: :vent: :obf: :pro: :tha: :DOM: :PRE: :cap8:
Prince of Rio de Janeiro

Powerbase Rio de Janeiro

More
12 Mar 2019 16:28 #94037 by kschaefer
The PDF rulebook on the BC site (Oct 1, 2018) does not contain the limited definition that the VEKN rulebook does and that was added in the Lost Kindred rules update.

More
13 Mar 2019 16:02 #94044 by self biased

I cannot see why Tangle for one could not be rewritten for clarity, and cancelling action cards as they are played already has a spot on the rule book that could be amended.

Some text changes here or there not to brake the rules just to have much clearer info on repeated actions clause seems like a small price to pay.

If you know the difference between "perform" and "attempt", then both are equally clear.

With the bump on this thread, it reminded me that I wanted to comment on this.

when using the word
"perform" to describe what you describe in the NRA section, it very strongly implies that the action was performed successfully.

per·form
/pərˈfôrm/
verb
1. carry out, accomplish, or fulfill (an action, task, or function).
"I have my duties to perform"
synonyms:carry out, do, execute, discharge, bring about, bring off, accomplish, achieve, fulfill, complete, conduct, effect, dispatch, work, implement; informal pull off; archaic acquit oneself of; rare effectuate

how many of us have heard a player say "But I didn't perform the action, I was blocked!" while teaching the game?

Phrasing the NRA rule in a way that references action resolution instead would reinforce how the rule actually works. It is not very intuitive that a blocked action is still 'performed,' but it is much clearer to think that both a successful action and blocked action have reached resolution. This also makes it clearer that actions that are canceled do not reach resolution and can be attempted again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus, Boris The Blade, thelonius reloaded, Bloodartist, LivesByProxy

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds