compress Honest Idea for fixing overly strong master cards!

Poll: AFTER READING THE WHOLE THING: What do you think? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
02 Jul 2011 21:28 #5743 by brandonsantacruz

The question, to me at least, is whether answering the dominant archetype leads to creative deck building or stagnation. If the only reliable answer (as in doesn't suck against everything else) to Girls is DEM-weenie with The Rising we're looking at a very boring metagame.

I agree, that would lead to boredom in the metagame. What I've found to work as a counter to strong players and decks that are silly if uncontrolled is aggression, but it doesn't have to be boring. The Rising is just an idea I'm working with, but you could use combat, lots of small bleeds, Banishment, or whatever. A toolboxy deck with the right tools can put a hurt on any deck, cross-table or not.

In my experience, the biggest problem is that people don't treat strong players/decks as a threat. Don't give them pool, don't destroy their pred/prey, etc. I've made that mistake before and seen it made plenty of times. Don't give up ;P

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2011 23:07 #5745 by Adonai

If the only reliable answer (as in doesn't suck against everything else) to Girls is DEM-weenie with The Rising we're looking at a very boring metagame.

There are quite a few answers to 'Girls who' decks.

It was first ousted at my table in the NAC day 2, and neither the Rising nor DEM-weenie were on the table. It was also ousted on another table and wasn't in the finals that day at all.

More
03 Jul 2011 10:04 #5750 by Suoli

If the only reliable answer (as in doesn't suck against everything else) to Girls is DEM-weenie with The Rising we're looking at a very boring metagame.

There are quite a few answers to 'Girls who' decks.

It was first ousted at my table in the NAC day 2, and neither the Rising nor DEM-weenie were on the table. It was also ousted on another table and wasn't in the finals that day at all.

I'm talking about reliable answers. Decks or modules that have an obvious advantage over Girls. I don't know why the Girls got ousted at NAC but two losses at one tournament doesn't seem to be enough to indicate anything.

To be clear, I'm not even sure if the Girls are as overpowered as it seems. This is all academic on my part.

More
03 Jul 2011 10:21 #5752 by Suoli

I agree, that would lead to boredom in the metagame. What I've found to work as a counter to strong players and decks that are silly if uncontrolled is aggression, but it doesn't have to be boring. The Rising is just an idea I'm working with, but you could use combat, lots of small bleeds, Banishment, or whatever. A toolboxy deck with the right tools can put a hurt on any deck, cross-table or not.

The problem with Girls is that it doesn't have any obvious weak points that a toolbox could exploit. Bleeds need to overcome Aksinya and insane bloat. Combat needs to burn every minion they bring out before they get Villein/Golconda. You pretty much need to either commit your deck to a single line of attack or get the whole table against them.

In my experience, the biggest problem is that people don't treat strong players/decks as a threat. Don't give them pool, don't destroy their pred/prey, etc. I've made that mistake before and seen it made plenty of times. Don't give up ;P

Thanks but I'm not personally struggling against Girls at the moment. It's just a deck that I believe has the potential to make the tournament scene less fun.

More
03 Jul 2011 11:02 - 03 Jul 2011 11:10 #5753 by Squidalot
though the Girls did comes sixth in the NAC day2 i think (and the master aksinya module did win the FCQ)?
Last edit: 03 Jul 2011 11:10 by Squidalot.

More
03 Jul 2011 12:38 #5756 by Demnogonis Saastuttaja

Thanks but I'm not personally struggling against Girls at the moment. It's just a deck that I believe has the potential to make the tournament scene less fun.

It already has. Some years ago it was still exciting to go to a tournament, where you presume people will play better and have more thought out decks. Now? Have fun with your timeouts and don't do any kind of a deck that can't oust some player who bloats 20 pool in a turn... See the wonders of Anson and Girls at every table.

The choice is binary. A minion removal deck, or an incredibly aggressive pool damage deck, that's all I can think of that will work in the current metagame.

:ANI: :AUS: :VIC:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds