question-circle Emerald Legionnaire — First Black Chantry Nerf?

19 Oct 2018 13:32 - 19 Oct 2018 13:38 #91292 by Bloodartist

Power of all- Anarch, requires 2 untapped anarchs, costs 2 blood. Narrow as hell and just a bad card.

Being able to cancel any library card from parity shifts to villeins to pentexes to conditionings to unmaskings is not "narrow" in my vocabulary. It has a high cost because the effect is downright insane.

stuff

You still haven't answered our question:
Yes, unmasking has an unique effect. Why is the effect bad?

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 19 Oct 2018 13:38 by Bloodartist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2018 16:22 #91297 by DJHedgehog

Power of all- Anarch, requires 2 untapped anarchs, costs 2 blood. Narrow as hell and just a bad card.

Being able to cancel any library card from parity shifts to villeins to pentexes to conditionings to unmaskings is not "narrow" in my vocabulary. It has a high cost because the effect is downright insane.

stuff

You still haven't answered our question:
Yes, unmasking has an unique effect. Why is the effect bad?

It's narrow in it's ability to be played. Only by an untapped anarch, with 2 blood, when there is another untapped anarch. Have you seen a lot of Power of All in any type of play? Casually or competitively? I play pretty often and I have never seen this card hit the table. If the effect was worth the cost you'd see the card played.

If you don't think I've answered your question, you aren't reading. It provides an incredibly powerful effect at no cost that has global implications and allows little counter-play.

How many vampires have standing intercept? Do you consider those vampires good? I know I do. And the counter play is to stealth by them or make them block actions. Now, pretend that instead of 1 vampire with +1 intercept you have 3+ disposable allies that all have +1 intercept. All of a sudden your option to make them block actions is gone and you have to consistently make at least 2 stealth to make any successful actions.

The card requires no thought to put in a deck. Like "how do I make this card work" isn't even a question. Sure Govern is good, but you can't use the superior unless you build a crypt that is stair stepped. If you're playing allies there is no reason to not play Unmasking. It also has the side effect of being really great with Imbued which are also dumb.

More
19 Oct 2018 18:44 #91301 by brandonsantacruz
The only reason I wouldn't include Unmasking in an ally deck is that my minions don't generate more than 1 stealth. Even so, one of your opponents will play it in 1/4-1/2 of your games IME.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
19 Oct 2018 21:20 #91304 by Cat_in_Exile
What about text along the lines of:

"If Emerald Legionaire is ready at start of your turn, it can remove 7 cards in your ash heap from the game during the unlock phase to move an Emerald Legionnaire from your ash heap to the ready region with 2 life."

That way it still has the cool snowball effect, but slows it down a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjvtes521

More
19 Oct 2018 21:46 #91306 by Lönkka

Running uncoiling shouldn't be the only answer. Non-interactive cards are the opposite of what VTES is in my opinion. The game should be about inviting actions and fun counterplay. Instead you pack in an uncoiling because you might see an unmasking? Silver bullets aren't fun or interactive.

To me think kinda screams that you aren't interested in changing with possible meta changes and adapt but instead want the game to be errataed to the direction of your choosing.

"My deck/I have a problem with this card so I want it to be banned/changed".

Like said before, Uncoiling is just fine. It enables many new decks thus providing variety and you can either go past it with little more stealth. Or remove it, meaning you need to sacrifice some card slot(s) losing a bit of a focus. Too bad!

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lionel

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
19 Oct 2018 22:35 #91309 by Mewcat
The only question is if unmasking falls in line with other effects in the game. Seems like dj has made a pretty solid case that it does not.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds