question-circle Emerald Legionnaire — First Black Chantry Nerf?

20 Oct 2018 09:30 #91319 by TwoRazorReign

This isn't just a dumb game about vampires. It's our dumb game about vampires

Again, I just find the this level of ownership of the game among the player base really amusing. It is a game after all...

This. The game has survived multiple deaths because of the players. White wolf was flat out bad at every aspect of managing the game and some of us hope that black chantry will do a better job.

And here is the level of ownership I am talking about. "If it wasn't for me and other players, the game would have been so much worse off because of product mismanagement." There is so much unintentional hubris here that it's amusing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 16:10 #91325 by Mewcat

This isn't just a dumb game about vampires. It's our dumb game about vampires

Again, I just find the this level of ownership of the game among the player base really amusing. It is a game after all...

This. The game has survived multiple deaths because of the players. White wolf was flat out bad at every aspect of managing the game and some of us hope that black chantry will do a better job.

And here is the level of ownership I am talking about. "If it wasn't for me and other players, the game would have been so much worse off because of company mismanagement." There is so much unintentional hubris in this statement that it's amusing.

Allow me to further your amusement.

Let us consider reasons why vtes has crawled out of the dirt multiple times.
1) a unique game experience - the multiplayer nature is highly novel
2) a social experience - this is notably distinct from 1) as it focuses on just spending time with friends and making dumb jokes and not the competitive challenges of a multiplayer game
3) few restrictions on deck construction

Let us also consider the reasons why it has failed multiple times.
1) atrocious card balance - the subset of competitive playable cards is extremely narrow and heavily tiled to cards from 1994

2) non-existent marketing

3) barriers to entry - hard for new players to learn all the cards, get the cards, and put up with long games of losing badly

4) cards seem like they were made by a computer algorithm - random costing of crypt and library cards, random effects focused on 'lore flavor' and nothing else

4.1) poorly thought out groups - sound idea but some discipline groupings get optimized crypts and you are needlessly prevented from building low power decks

5) poorly written rulebook - in English by native English speakers

6) poor rulings - no consistency and no direction toward a small set of simple ideas one can use to understand the game easily

These are the things black chantry has to deal with if they don't want the game to wither again.

More
20 Oct 2018 16:28 #91326 by Klaital
I don't really agree with most of those points...

1) V:tES has great card balance, even cards from the oldest sets are still playable, and there are not all that much objectively useless cards, yes there is some, but it is pretty much impossible for that to not happen unless you want every discpline having identical cards.

2) That one might be true, though ccgs in general have not exactly been super good in that, so it isn't really an exception.

3) You mean like every ccg? At least unlike in something like magic, your cards don't become unplayable after two years because of rotations.

4) So again, you want everything to have exact same options with just different names?

4,1) Again, unless you make every group identical, it is pretty much impossible to NOT make some groups better at some discpline combo than others.

5) Eh I never had problems with it.

6) Again, not really had much problems with that, barring some notable notoriously complicated cards, but again, every card game has those (like hello Chaos Orb and Illusionary mask from mtg)

More
20 Oct 2018 19:34 #91328 by Varkku
For all of you guys whining about Unmasking i have two words. Learn potence! :D

Seriously if u can't get past or rid off some pesky ally, maybe it's your deck that is malfunctioning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Cat_in_Exile

More
20 Oct 2018 19:58 - 20 Oct 2018 20:00 #91329 by alef-thau
Finally somebody who holds sensible words ! B)
Last edit: 20 Oct 2018 20:00 by alef-thau.

More
20 Oct 2018 20:58 #91330 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple
Sometimes, you peek back into a conversation and just know it's become time to close your browser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kushiel, Malachy, kschaefer

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds