file Let's Talk Rapid Thought!

06 May 2011 15:42 #4210 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Let's Talk Rapid Thought!

And the other one is "everyone lose pool equal to their predator's biggest vampire", which is also likely to make you lose by playing it.

If you play an IC, it's an 11 pool loss for your prey.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2011 15:46 #4211 by Kushiel
I know that everybody loves to tinker and experiment and offer their suggestions for changes and all, but for what it's worth, I feel like the current RT rules worked just fine when I played them. I could see adding Ashur Tablets to the banned list, just because of the delay of game they seem to inevitably cause, but other than that I don't think the format needs any "fixing."

More
06 May 2011 17:54 #4212 by bakija

If you play an IC, it's an 11 pool loss for your prey.

Sure. And if your predator is playing an IC, that is 11 pool loss for you.

That, and as we already established, a rule like this (i.e. you can't gain pool except by ousting someone or keeping the edge) completely disadvantages large vampires (if you can't villein or minion tap huge vampires, and your opponents are probably playing weenie bleed or weenie rush anyway, being an 11 cap is likely to get you killed before you can call an Ancient Influenza) such that the likelihood of someone playing an 11 cap in the first place is very small.

More
06 May 2011 17:58 #4213 by bakija

I know that everybody loves to tinker and experiment and offer their suggestions for changes and all, but for what it's worth, I feel like the current RT rules worked just fine when I played them. I could see adding Ashur Tablets to the banned list, just because of the delay of game they seem to inevitably cause, but other than that I don't think the format needs any "fixing."

Oh, I thought they worked fine too. I think they'd work just fine if the rules were:

"3 player games, 45 minute time limit per round, end of line."

as well. That being said, a lot of people seem to have a negative view of this particular event style, and a lot of people who played in these tournaments were like "Huh. That was almost fun. Maybe if something got changed, I'd like it more...", which isn't an insignificant issue.

When I ran the event at Origins, there were a lot more people there playing VTES than in the RT tournament. Sure, it was late at night and a lot of people were off drinking beer at that point, but a lot of folks also were like "Yeah, that is a stupid format. I'm gonna go to bed/drink/play BSG instead.", which isn't an insignificant issue.

Maybe if a couple things were changed, more people would like playing.

More
06 May 2011 18:42 #4214 by Kushiel

That being said, a lot of people seem to have a negative view of this particular event style, and a lot of people who played in these tournaments were like "Huh. That was almost fun. Maybe if something got changed, I'd like it more...", which isn't an insignificant issue.

When I ran the event at Origins, there were a lot more people there playing VTES than in the RT tournament. Sure, it was late at night and a lot of people were off drinking beer at that point, but a lot of folks also were like "Yeah, that is a stupid format. I'm gonna go to bed/drink/play BSG instead.", which isn't an insignificant issue.

Maybe if a couple things were changed, more people would like playing.

Well, here's a needless digression: BSG hadn't been printed at that point, or I'd have been off playing it. Not because there's anything wrong with RT, mind you, just because BSG > VTES.

But anyway, you're ever the populist, eh, bakija? Always worried about what "the people" think? You're a softie, but that's why I keep you around. Keeps my own despotism from spiralling completely out of control. (Which is to say, I doubt that a few rules tweaks here and there would convince people who were otherwise completely uninterested in the format to try it out, and I suspect a lot of the people who wandered off were burnt out on VTES more than lacking the desire to play RT, specifically. But who knows for sure?)

More
06 May 2011 19:25 #4215 by bakija

Well, here's a needless digression: BSG hadn't been printed at that point, or I'd have been off playing it. Not because there's anything wrong with RT, mind you, just because BSG > VTES.

Huh. I guess I was just retrofitting my memories. If it wasn't BSg, it was beer then.

But anyway, you're ever the populist, eh, bakija? Always worried about what "the people" think? You're a softie, but that's why I keep you around.

Well, ya know. Fight the Power and all.

But really, my whole line of thought here stems from Robba being all "RT would be awesome if only it didn't suck!", and really, I think there is something to be said for the incredibly simple, low effort rule I suggested. Again, I'm not, like, saying it Must Be Implemented or anything. But if you are going to go through the effort to ban things like Blood Doll and Villein (which are banned from RT already) and possible Voter Cap and Con Boon (which may or may not be banned at any given moment, depending on which rules set is being looked at), I think just going straight to the source with a nice, clean, simple rule has a lot to recommend it.

Keeps my own despotism from spiralling completely out of control. (Which is to say, I doubt that a few rules tweaks here and there would convince people who were otherwise completely uninterested in the format to try it out, and I suspect a lot of the people who wandered off were burnt out on VTES more than lacking the desire to play RT, specifically. But who knows for sure?)

Oh, I'm not, like, trying to use the tournament I ran at Origins as a case study or anything. But there were a lot of people who were specifically not wanting to play Rapid Thought as opposed to just not wanting to play more VTEs at that point. BSG or no...

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds