file Let's Talk Rapid Thought!

06 May 2011 19:35 #4216 by KevinM

That being said, a lot of people seem to have a negative view of this particular event style, and a lot of people who played in these tournaments were like "Huh. That was almost fun. Maybe if something got changed, I'd like it more...", which isn't an insignificant issue.

When I ran the event at Origins, there were a lot more people there playing VTES than in the RT tournament. Sure, it was late at night and a lot of people were off drinking beer at that point, but a lot of folks also were like "Yeah, that is a stupid format. I'm gonna go to bed/drink/play BSG instead.", which isn't an insignificant issue.

Maybe if a couple things were changed, more people would like playing.

But anyway, you're ever the populist, eh, bakija? Always worried about what "the people" think?

It certainly helps his non-confrontational, argumentum ad populum discussion style, John. ;)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2011 18:24 #4240 by librarian
I wonder how people prioritize the various aspects of Rapid Thought:

Here are my priorities:

1. A game of VTES for 3 players
2. Fast game
3. Different Format
4. No one deck type (Una) totally dominates.
5. Ability to use my existing decks

How would people adjust those priorities? If we can get some sort of consensus on priorities, then perhaps we can then focus on rule-changes that lean towards the priorities.

chris

More
07 May 2011 18:39 - 08 May 2011 12:09 #4242 by bakija

I wonder how people prioritize the various aspects of Rapid Thought:

Here are my priorities:

1. A game of VTES for 3 players
2. Fast game
3. Different Format
4. No one deck type (Una) totally dominates.
5. Ability to use my existing decks

I'd probably put Fast Game above 3 players. But otherwise, that looks good.

I personally don't think being able to use my existing decks is particularly important, but it seems like people tend to want to just be able to sit down and play a game, and having different decks for different formats is another possible stumbling block.

How would people adjust those priorities? If we can get some sort of consensus on priorities, then perhaps we can then focus on rule-changes that lean towards the priorities.

Consensus, eh? You've been to the internet before, yes?

: )
Last edit: 08 May 2011 12:09 by bakija.

More
07 May 2011 20:00 #4246 by librarian

Consensus, eh? You've been to the internet before, yes?

: )

Hahaha!

Ok, well, maybe just a way to see where people stand and what is important to them.

For instance, the reason 3 player is more important to me - if we have 4 or 5, might as well play regular VTES. Bonus is that the Rapid Thought is quick, so it's a good one to play as you wait for the 4th to show up. In theory.

OT: my kids are watching the dumbest movie evar - MegaPiranha, starring Tiffany, which is even worse than MegaShark vs Giant Octopus (starring Deborah Gibson - seeing a trend there?)

Chris

More
02 Aug 2011 11:43 #7227 by jhattara
Last Sunday at Ropecon we played a 6-player 3 round Rapid Thought tournament (www.vekn.net/index.php/forum/9-event-reports-and-twd/7217-ropecon-rapid-thought-july-31-2011) using Kevin's revised rule set (members.cox.net/kjm1971/RapidThoughtRevised.txt). Generally the format seems to work great and it was lots of fun. A perfect format for the last day of a convention, when time is limited and a tournament with 2 hour time limits would require participants to wake up at ungodly hours.

Few comments below...

1) Time limit seems to be good. Although the decks were bashed together from standard constructed decks within two hours before the tournament started only 2 out of 6 tables timed out. And neither of them would've lasted much longer.

2) Ashur Tablets was the only card on the watch list that made an appearance. The deck wasn't using multiple MPAs to boost it and at least for that deck it didn't help at all.

3) Tournament Point division of Kevin's rules seem a bit skewed. I'd suggest following changes: Basic distribution of tournament points 6/4/2. If someone gets 2 VP or more, he gains 2 extra TP and the other players lose 1 TP each.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
02 Aug 2011 15:56 #7231 by Kushiel

2 out of 6 tables timed out...

2) Ashur Tablets was the only card on the watch list that made an appearance. The deck wasn't using multiple MPAs to boost it and at least for that deck it didn't help at all.

Any connection between these two? I'd thought that the reason Tablets was on the watch list was because of how ungodly long people take when picking their cards.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds