file Let's Talk Rapid Thought!

05 May 2011 06:11 - 05 May 2011 06:22 #4158 by Pagan
Replied by Pagan on topic Re: Let's Talk Rapid Thought!

Not that I necessarily disagree with the point about GWs, but I find it hard to fathom how you can get 3GW/9VP in 3 rounds of Rapid Thought with a deck that could somehow not be called "cheese" by someone, and then end your sentence with "only to die to some loser's ANI cheese rush."

It was sarcasm to evoke a response from someone I owe an airlocking to already active in the topic on that final.

Though my deck was abysmally bad. Renegade Garou with no pool defense/gain. Yet somehow it killed people until it ran into a deck it had no chance against(ANI cheese)

Not to worry. Kevin was directing that at me - he and I have known each other (and enjoyed each others' company, as far as I know) for a while now. His tone doesn't always translate well to the intertubes, but I took it for the friendly mockery that I'm pretty sure it was meant to be.

Well it was nice until you called me Kevin. It's David, the Archbishop of Las Vegas.

Okay I give up trying to get the pic or link to actually work in this forum's software. Let's just say Joomla goes next to WinME on my list of recommended software.
Last edit: 05 May 2011 06:22 by Pagan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2011 06:15 #4159 by KevinM

Not that I necessarily disagree with the point about GWs, but I find it hard to fathom how you can get 3GW/9VP in 3 rounds of Rapid Thought with a deck that could somehow not be called "cheese" by someone, and then end your sentence with "only to die to some loser's ANI cheese rush." Really?

Not to worry. Kevin was directing that at me - he and I have known each other (and enjoyed each others' company, as far as I know) for a while now.

Ok Kushiel, just calm down about your friend Kevin, who **didn't even make the remark that you think he made**. Bakija is quoting Pagan, who translates even worse than I do. ;)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
05 May 2011 06:53 - 05 May 2011 06:56 #4160 by er-principe

Just wondering:
as the original RT format is intended out of the standard cross-table
aspect of vtes, could make sense to consider a rapid format with tables
of 3 and 2 players ?

Please take this in the spirit of curiousity on my part, rather than rudeness, but why would you want to do that?

Actually i'm wondering by the remark already done at beginning of the topic:
having to be always in 3 multipliers number for such format can be somewhat
problematic, above all in the respect of considering it for an official tournament (which would be otherwise great, as i'd like a lot to have
new official tournament formats)
By that also my intention of testing it in 4 o 5 players table

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 05 May 2011 06:56 by er-principe.

More
05 May 2011 07:42 - 05 May 2011 07:42 #4161 by Pascal Bertrand

I'm jumping into this very late, but so be it.

I've played in two Rapid Thought tournaments and I was annoyed as hell by two things:

1) If we're eliminating pool gain, ELIMINATE pool gain entirely other than the oust. It was annoying watching a vote deck (which is more powerful in this format to begin with) power up with constant voter cap. I would argue that ANY pool gain would go to the blood back other than the oust, much like the ancient WOTC Gehenna version of the original Jyhad.

Do you consider Powerbase: Montreal as pool gain? (due to the possibility of retro-influencing)
Do you consider superior Govern as pool gain? (due to the possibility of retro-influencing)
Do you consider superior Legal Manipulations as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 1 pool" effect)
Do you consider Kindred Spirits as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 1 pool" effect)
Do you consider Frontal Assault as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 1 pool" effect)
Do you consider Rabbat's hunt as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 1 pool" effect)
Do you consider Off Kilter as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 1/2 pool" effect)
Do you consider Victoria's ability as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 2 pool" effect)
Do you consider Regaining the Upper Hand to be a pool-gaining card? (due to the conditional effect of awarding the edge, which can be used to gain pool)?
Do you consider Computer Hacking as pool gain? (due to the conditional effect of awarding the edge, which can be used to gain pool)
Do you consider KoKo as pool gain? (due to the possibility KoKo has of bleeding, and thus gaining the edge, which can be used to gain pool)

Do you consider banning all this bunch of cards (including all vampires except very few) for the sake of "Pool should only go down, except when you're ousting someone" ?

Might I say I'd find it ridiculous?
Last edit: 05 May 2011 07:42 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
05 May 2011 08:42 #4162 by Mephistopheles

I'm jumping

I agree with Floppy. It doesn't make sense to eliminate every single pool gaining ability.

Though I still think that Ashur + Liquidation should be at least on the watch list. Partly because of the strong pool gain, but also because it has the real potential to steal on time heavily, which combined with the pool gain isn't too good...

NC for Hungary

hunfragment.blogspot.com

More
05 May 2011 08:44 - 05 May 2011 08:47 #4163 by er-principe

I'm jumping into this very late, but so be it.

I've played in two Rapid Thought tournaments and I was annoyed as hell by two things:

1) If we're eliminating pool gain, ELIMINATE pool gain entirely other than the oust. It was annoying watching a vote deck (which is more powerful in this format to begin with) power up with constant voter cap. I would argue that ANY pool gain would go to the blood back other than the oust, much like the ancient WOTC Gehenna version of the original Jyhad.

Do you consider Powerbase: Montreal as pool gain? (due to the possibility of retro-influencing)
Do you consider superior Govern as pool gain? (due to the possibility of retro-influencing)
Do you consider superior Legal Manipulations as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 1 pool" effect)
Do you consider Kindred Spirits as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 1 pool" effect)
Do you consider Frontal Assault as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 1 pool" effect)
Do you consider Rabbat's hunt as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 1 pool" effect)
Do you consider Off Kilter as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 1/2 pool" effect)
Do you consider Victoria's ability as pool gain? (due to the conditional "gain 2 pool" effect)
Do you consider Regaining the Upper Hand to be a pool-gaining card? (due to the conditional effect of awarding the edge, which can be used to gain pool)?
Do you consider Computer Hacking as pool gain? (due to the conditional effect of awarding the edge, which can be used to gain pool)
Do you consider KoKo as pool gain? (due to the possibility KoKo has of bleeding, and thus gaining the edge, which can be used to gain pool)

Do you consider banning all this bunch of cards (including all vampires except very few) for the sake of "Pool should only go down, except when you're ousting someone" ?

I think that the pool gain disallowance clause (imho much easier
to implement than banning a number of cards) should be applied
just to effect causing direct pool gain
(thus: blood doll, sup voter cap, ashur, liquidation and the like) ;
undirected way of (re)gaining pool (that mostly comes by influencing back)
should/could be still allowed
That should mean, say, that with blood doll you can still run dry
your vampires, but that the blood goes to the bank instead of your pool

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 05 May 2011 08:47 by er-principe.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds