file The future of V:TES

09 Dec 2012 06:01 #42581 by Boris The Blade

But the past few posts were talking about "custom" starters.

Who would buy that? It is too complicated for beginners and too restrictive for old players.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2012 06:04 #42582 by ReverendRevolver
Reasonable limits i feel should mean you dont have 8 freak drives and 7 deflections out of the box. The cam edition starters were all over the place, then starters got gradually better until ben peal did the httb ones. (I started playing at cam) bens decks were effective for bloodlines, but regular clans can have similar decks with more options. Important cards like deep song or freak drives should be x3-4, but not more. Kindred spirits could be x6-7. But having 5 baltimore purge is too much like deciding what the deck does exclusively by including that amount. Thatsbad, because it defeats thw purpose of a rounded, semi efficient starter.

More
09 Dec 2012 07:18 #42584 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: The future of V:TES

15 freakdrives

Unless you are implying the ventrue precon be maryanne blair x5 with one of each supporting ventrue in g4-4, with8x govern, 4xscouting mission,5xenchant kindred and 3x 4 th tradition with 3 golcondas, or the !gangrel be an una deck, i fail to see the practicaility. Unless you just need 15, which you can probably just order. I need 32 -40 more freak drivesmyself, 24-32 more deflections, and 24 eyes of argus, along with 18 more deep song.

But you kinda just lost me. A recap of rares for a toolboxy ventrue: daring the dawn, day op, awe, parity shift, ephor,island of yairos, mind rape, hostile tskeover, dreams of the sphinx, and first tradition.
Uncommons: freak drive x3-4, perfect paragon, entrancement, 3-4 deflections, command of the beast, judgement cam seg and 3-4 2nd tradition.
Commons: govern, bonding, seduction, conditioning, majesty , hidden strength, meat hook, cat fear, staredown, denial of aphrodities favor, target vitals, krc,con boon, political stranglehold, reins of power, bewitching oration, ventrue headquarters, voter cap, villein, blood doll, ventrue directorate assembly, force of will.

The point is, it does lots of stuff. Votes , bleeds, denies blocks, bounces, blocks with intercept,ends combat, prevents damage, and dishes out a little combat damage. Diverse.

Parity Shift is an uncommon, not a rare, Ventrue Headquarters is an uncommon not a common, so is political stranglehold, Villein and voter cap, and Denial of Aphrodite's Favor is a rare, not a common.

More
09 Dec 2012 07:23 #42586 by direwolf
Replied by direwolf on topic Re: The future of V:TES

But the past few posts were talking about "custom" starters.

Who would buy that? It is too complicated for beginners and too restrictive for old players.

I would buy it. Then again, I'm probably not your regular "old player." Don't underestimate "old players" either. It's not so different from when I want to build a deck, and I don't want to take apart other decks to build it. Restrictions on deckbuilding can lead to creative decks. The idea that I could purchase a new deck without having to take apart my existing decks is appealing, even if I would have to purchase two decks and "mash" them up to get what I want.

Also, consider this: what if you could make "custom" starter decks and they are available to others to purchase? Wouldn't that be cool?

On top of that, I don't think it's too complicated for a new player who is about to invest money in the game. There will be options for players who have never played the game before, such as normal, non-customizable starter decks.

There is another advantage: we will be able to gather meaningful statistics based on card selection based on what players buy. Another advantage is that cards that are of marginal use will be printed in appropriate proportions. (Eccentric Billionaire, I'm looking at you!)

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
09 Dec 2012 09:12 #42588 by blackday
Replied by blackday on topic Re: The future of V:TES
Id buy it too, then again id buy anything that vekn would put out just about now. Hahahaha.

More
09 Dec 2012 12:17 - 09 Dec 2012 12:18 #42590 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Re: The future of V:TES
Pre-cons are a great idea for new players — but unless the economics works perhaps they should just be a pre-selected print on demand deck.

Let go of the rare, uncommon, common mindset — it should be a thing of the past. On Lackey often you will see diverse and creative (or at least different) decks simply because card availability is not a concern. It should also be like this in real life and print on demand makes this a possibility. Embrace it, it could be great. If it fails — what does it change? nothing of importance.

Artificial restrictions / limits on cards is just a waste of time and energy. I could perhaps understand it if there was a card limit in VTES, but there isn't so why try and enforce one on build to order decks?
Last edit: 09 Dec 2012 12:18 by Ke..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mimir, Soonerborn, mirddes

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds