file The future of V:TES

25 Jan 2013 21:45 #44428 by Juggernaut1981

I´m not american, so I don´t understand this. The VEKN kan make a pdf of a bunch of new cards and declare they official VEKN cards. What has White Wolf/CCP and Wizards/Hasbro to do with this?

Hasbro/WW own the idea of "turning a card 90 degrees to signify its use" and calling it "tapping".
WW/CCP owns all of the fluff, names, disciplines, clans and so on.

So, we can't make the cards without getting permission from those two companies (which is part of why VTES is out of print). Even with permission, the deal giving us permission from those companies may say "We (the companies) want to review the cards you make with our IP before you release them".

Regarding people's time. Does your work have busy parts of the year? I know my work as a teacher does. I lose a number of weekends to examination marking and report writing at least twice a year. And so on.

Take an consulting accountant as an example. Most accountants have a reasonably busy working year, but could contribute time to volunteer to VEKN all of the year. However, at the end of financial year their workload goes far through the roof as they finalise accounts and details for the yearly reports. What happens if they were working on something for the VEKN that got delayed and then happens at the same time as the end of financial year? Are they supposed to do a bad job at work to do the VEKN stuff or should they put the VEKN matters on pause to do their job well and come back to the VEKN matters?

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2013 22:11 #44430 by blackday
Replied by blackday on topic Re: The future of V:TES
vtes doesnt pay the bills, so work would naturally take precedence over anything else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
26 Jan 2013 00:02 #44431 by Squidalot
Replied by Squidalot on topic Re: The future of V:TES

Set wise:

Danse still needs a R5 test - the head of the test groups have all the information I currently have on when this is (and yes it's late but that's how things go when there is no pressing deadlines)

I'm intrigued by the "no pressing dealines" comment. On reading this, my first interpretation is that no firm dealine for Danse Macabre's release has been set yet. I can imagine numerous reasons not to set a date, so I'm not particularly bothered by that, but is that an accurate reading?

There's no release date - and it's still in discussion how/when it would be released and this takes a back seat to any POD discussions and it also directly dependent on these POD discussions. Johannes will update if and when there is any news on this front.

So yes no firm deadlines though we obviously prefer to keep things moving and produce a backlog of useable cards/other set ideas.

More
26 Jan 2013 06:29 #44436 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: The future of V:TES

Hasbro/WW own the idea of "turning a card 90 degrees to signify its use" and calling it "tapping".
WW/CCP owns all of the fluff, names, disciplines, clans and so on.

So, we can't make the cards without getting permission from those two companies (which is part of why VTES is out of print). Even with permission, the deal giving us permission from those companies may say "We (the companies) want to review the cards you make with our IP before you release them".

I do not think you understand what I´m saying. VEKN is not a legal body, right? It´s just a bunch of people doing stuff, over the net, non-profit? The take a bunch of names (Mithras, Donald Duck and Gandalf) and a bunch of rules (VTES or Monopoly, whatever) and artwork (stolen from VTES) and make a pdf with those, and say "These are VEKN tournament legal". Who should be sued? For what?

Regarding people's time. Does your work have busy parts of the year? I know my work as a teacher does. I lose a number of weekends to examination marking and report writing at least twice a year. And so on.

If the VEKN/Design team need more people I´m sure there are plenty of volunteers that can be involved in various extent to ease their burden. At least the design team could easly be doubled in size. Just ask the community.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
26 Jan 2013 06:31 #44437 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: The future of V:TES
Thanks Squidalot. I look forward to a new Designer´s Diary soon. I´m sure there are plenty to say, _without_ discussing the pod-thingy.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
26 Jan 2013 06:39 #44438 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Re: The future of V:TES
I'm waiting on proofreading, comments, etc. on my Designer's Diary draft entry. It'll be up in a day or two. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, Lönkka, Ashur, Daidalos

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds