file On how I hate Rego Motus

30 Mar 2012 10:55 - 30 Mar 2012 11:07 #26874 by FrançoisV

Both Protean and Thaumaturgy have sort of been 'bit of everything' type discplines from the start (...)

Considering the rest of your post I am not sure if this sentence is supposed to apply to card design (in the ccg) or the general masquerade lore.

Invoking lore-based arguments in card design discussions does not really make sense. I mean, if you design a card on a lore-based game of course you should be able to translate it in some way into lore stuff, but the opposite is not true. That it exists in the lore does not automatically make it ok as far as card design is concerned.

By the way I'm not a lore expert but wasn't the first level of protean "gleam of red eyes" a power that has been translated into the game from the start as press/maneuver ?
Last edit: 30 Mar 2012 11:07 by FrançoisV.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2012 11:43 #26875 by Klaital
iirc the name for the same power in another edition was 'Eyes of the Beast' which was made to an intercept card. And really, being able to see in the dark sounds more like intercept than manuevers or presses to me. (From what I recall, IR Goggles and Sport Bike were originally going to have their effects other way around, which would make more sense also, but for whatever reason were swapped, probably because stackable intercept would have been more potentially unbalanced than stackable manuevers.)

Thats not the only case where same power from the rpg has multiple vastly different adaptations in the card game either. Most extreme example of this is that most of the Spiritus cards are different 'modes' of the Spiritus level 3 power, Aspect of the Beast (pretty much every spiritus card that has some animal in the name). :)

More
30 Mar 2012 12:43 #26876 by Kushiel

Since it came legal Rego Motus has been used in almost half of the TWD Tremere/!Tremere decks.

What percentage of those decks used Mirror Walk? If we want to complain about ubiquity being a sign of lazy card design, I'm going to guess that MW is a much better contender for the complaint box.

More
30 Mar 2012 12:55 #26877 by Kushiel

Another thing you should take in account is : you can safely think that you always have blood to pay for rego motus.

You can't, because you might not have a Theft, or your opponent might have no blood to steal, or you might be Grappled, etc. But it's illustrative that you claimed that you can think this way, while on the topic of lazy deckbuilding. :laugh:

More
30 Mar 2012 12:59 #26878 by Reyda
Replied by Reyda on topic Re: On how I hate Rego Motus

Another thing you should take in account is : you can safely think that you always have blood to pay for rego motus.

You can't, because you might not have a Theft, or your opponent might have no blood to steal, or you might be Grappled, etc. But it's illustrative that you claimed that you can think this way, while on the topic of lazy deckbuilding. :laugh:

Yes I can, because most of the time it's what happens. In games. Of Vtes.

I hope at some point you't going to think about the game globally instead of tossing another "you might be grappled" phony argument...

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier

More
30 Mar 2012 13:53 - 30 Mar 2012 13:57 #26880 by Kushiel
Forget it; I was probably being stupidly hostile. Ice cream sandwich, ahoy!
Last edit: 30 Mar 2012 13:57 by Kushiel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds