file Tournament experiences

14 Nov 2011 11:26 #14103 by Joscha
Some time ago we talked in the Forum about some cards people saw as too strong and liked it to be changed.

We came to the conclusion that we should wait how the cards affect tournaments in the current season.

With the NAC and the EC played I think it's time to ask participating players and observers about what they think about that matter now.

I suggest that we sum up problematic cards first and talk about them in different threads.

In my opinion problematic cards are cards that doesn't fit the intended goals and the spirit of the game or that alter the game to an extreme degree. It is NOT about availability of cards.

So please if you observed problematic cards throughout this year tell us about it with a SHORT reason, why you think that card is bad for the game.

Please DON'T discuss it in this thread, I'd like to open up an extrathread per problematic card.

This is just for letting others know about your opinion. The decision if this card is altered, banned or stay the same is clearly up to the Rulesmonger Pascal Bertrand.

Baron of Frankfurt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2011 11:42 #14105 by Pendargon
Ashur tablets - recursion is highly powerful, and now available to everybody

Villein - Hoses minion tap, while providing much better effect. In relation with >> Lilith blessing - free vamps.

Lilith's blessing - Small jake washington once per game per vampire. I feel everything would be ok if it was unique.

:QUI: :POT: :OBE: :CEL: :OBF: :tore: :assa:

More
14 Nov 2011 12:03 #14106 by Brum
Replied by Brum on topic Re: Tournament experiences
We've had ways to have free vampires before.
And much better than this, because they would be full.
Minion Tap - Voter Captivation each turn is way worse because it's a mechanic where you usually deal damage in the process.
I see nothing wrong with the way the game is.

It seems to me Edward Vignes decks would have a ball in this year's EC, if packing enough Majesties.

More
14 Nov 2011 15:03 #14112 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Tournament experiences
#1 Lilith's Blessing - it makes everything you put on the table free. I would have liked the cardtext to be "choose a ready non-Bahari vampire you control with no Villein who has no blood ..."

#2 Giant's Blood - it turns the game into a lottery who gets to start with 40 pool. Also, if EVERY deck packs one, it's probably too good.

#3 Tupdog/Rock Cats in general. Not because it's broken per se, but because it disrupts tables beyond reason and needs very specific hosers to be stopped (Gran Madre, Tension).

#4 Maris Streck. No her special didn't really come into play during any games I played, but it really, really, should be once per action.

#5 Heart of Nizchetus. Also Heart of Timeout and Stalling.

That's the five I can think of. Of those, #1, #2 and #4 are just broken cards, whereas the other two have in my opinion such a negative effect on the actual playing of the game that something should be done about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis, Lech

More
14 Nov 2011 15:22 #14116 by acbishop
Replied by acbishop on topic Re: Tournament experiences
Mainly I have to say that instead of thinking about nerfing cards we should think about clever deckmaking to stop people using broken cards.

Giant's Blood is ok like it is, it's only one every game, if everyone plays one it means that 4 people will discard a card cause someone 'd played it before, so for me no change needed.

Lilit's Blessing, I think that maybe Unique master would be perfect on it. Anyway, If everybody is able to put vampires in play is cause there are less people playing Sudden Reversal. One SR on Villein and you will avoid your prey having a free vampire. So let's play more Sudden Reversal.

Ashur + Liquidation, let's play more erciyes Fragment, trochomancy and other cards to stop those decks.

Maris Streck, she's great, she's powerful, but looking to the TWD archive, this year only 3 decks with her have won tournaments, I think you can find other vampires on more TWD (Nana Buruku for example) than Maris. So no need to change.

Heart of Nizchetus. if this pisses you off, play lots of cards able to destroy equipments, like Anarch troublemaker which is also helpful for killing your prey.

I think that we need to think about ways of building decks capable of dealing with those cards in a major tournament instead of thinking about nerfing them.

Just my 2 cents

:vtes:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, Juggernaut1981

More
14 Nov 2011 15:32 #14122 by Brum
Replied by Brum on topic Re: Tournament experiences

Mainly I have to say that instead of thinking about nerfing cards we should think about clever deckmaking to stop people using broken cards.

(...)

I think that we need to think about ways of building decks capable of dealing with those cards in a major tournament instead of thinking about nerfing them.

Just my 2 cents

I agree completely. Like any other strong mechanic, the ones mentioned above have the good effect of forcing people to make decks in a smarter way.
Like I've written many times in the past, nothing wrong with that.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds