file Tournament experiences

14 Nov 2011 21:31 #14190 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Tournament experiences

The list of problematic cards so far:

1. Ashur Tablets

Ashur Tablets aren't a problem because they require a full Master phase action to play, the pool gain isn't really significant, the cards put back into the library aren't guaranteed to be drawn in any order, or at all, and they can be removed from the game by another Methuselah drawing her Tablets first.

2. Villein

Yes, a problem. I've heard many suggestions for "fixing" this card, and they've all been posted elsewhere. Perhaps it'll be revamped someday.

3. Lilith's Blessing

Yeah, this is a problem. :)

4. Giant's Blood

GB only became a problem with Villein, and it would have been played anyway, and it's *already* once per game, so how much more do you want to manage it?

5. Maris Streck

??? She's powerful, but hardly a problem card.

6. Heart of Nizchetus

Heart is certainly one of the most powerful cards ever created, but it's neither played enough nor has been shown to be a key component in any particular deck to be considered a problem.

7. Parity Shift

Parity Shift has been overpowered since the beginning of Jyhad and needs to be addressed. I'm a big fan of 'Once per game' for these types of cards -- OPG should have been the answer to Memories of Mortality, too -- but it looks hopeless as the card was never addressed in 15+ years, so why would it be now?

8/9. Tupdog

Neither Tupdog nor Rock Cat are a significant problem because they show up incredibly rarely.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2011 21:50 #14198 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Tournament experiences
Kev, from the first mail:

So please if you observed problematic cards throughout this year tell us about it with a SHORT reason, why you think that card is bad for the game.

Please DON'T discuss it in this thread, I'd like to open up an extrathread per problematic card.

;)

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joscha, KevinM, Kraus

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
14 Nov 2011 22:03 #14202 by SLave
Replied by SLave on topic Re: Tournament experiences

My plan is to put up a short, straight discussion 1. Ashur Tablets

What's broken is its combo with Liquidation. Otherwise, it's quite a useful card. It gives combat decks (like those based on Thaumaturgy combat cards) a better chance to achieve anything.

2. Villein

Is a big problem. Should not hinder players from using Minion Taps. MTs are a necessity in some decks (like the Ariadna hunt deck).

3. Lilith's Blessing

Well, don't know. Seems not to be a big issue. Would not cry a tear for it though.

4. Giant's Blood

This one is certainly fine.

5. Maris Streck

Ain't broken that much.

6. Heart of Nizchetus

A strong one, but fine with me. One can block it, can get DIed, can get stolen on many occasions.

7. Parity Shift

I like it. ;)

8. Tupdog

Don't know. It's extremely frequent in Poland, though.

9. Rock Cat

Nothing broken about it.

2. Immortal Grapple

Nothing wrong in here. The card's been around for ages. Does not help against Ahrimanes greately, does it now. ;)

Pentex Subversion

Broken only when combined with The Red Star. Apart from that, I can see absolutely no problem with this one. Anthelios breakes many master cards, however.

5. Earth Meld
[...]
9. Freak Drive
10. Voter Captivation
11.Taste of Vitae
12. Heidelberg Castle

Good cards. We need them around.

More
14 Nov 2011 22:03 #14203 by Dorrinal
Replied by Dorrinal on topic Re: Tournament experiences
Joscha: sorry, we don't have to follow your original intent for this thread. Bug someone for moderator status. :)

1. Ashur Tablets

Ashur Tablets aren't a problem because they require a full Master phase action to play, the pool gain isn't really significant, the cards put back into the library aren't guaranteed to be drawn in any order, or at all, and they can be removed from the game by another Methuselah drawing her Tablets first.

Ashur Tablets aren't a problem because of their power level, but because tournament games have time limits. You know better than anyone that 5-player games already have enough trouble finishing.

8/9. Tupdog

Neither Tupdog nor Rock Cat are a significant problem because they show up incredibly rarely.

This is not a valid counterargument. Either they are problematic or not. (And when everyone realizes I am right and permits proxies in official tournaments this argument will finally die).

Otherwise, Kevin's analysis is spot on as usual.

:trem:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinM

More
15 Nov 2011 00:47 - 15 Nov 2011 00:48 #14216 by Brum
Replied by Brum on topic Re: Tournament experiences
I like the irony of the fact that some of the people who are complaining about thread jacking here helped to do the same in the "Expansion Update" thread. ;)

Since I think there is really no problem in either, I think it is very unproductive to ask folks to comment about a subject only in the way you want or agree.
Do you think I should start a thread called "Comment here why you thing the game is fine"?

I firmly believe (or have faith) that the vast majority of the players are ok with the cards the way they are.
Asking only the opinion of those that aren't ok with things, will cause warped view of the subject.

I'm sorry for your time. I will not post in this thread again.
Also because I have other duties to attend in this forum and little time to do them well.
Life never stops. :)

Cheers!
Tiago
Last edit: 15 Nov 2011 00:48 by Brum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

More
15 Nov 2011 04:17 #14221 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Tournament experiences

Since I think there is really no problem in either, I think it is very unproductive to ask folks to comment about a subject only in the way you want or agree.
Do you think I should start a thread called "Comment here why you thing the game is fine"?

I firmly believe (or have faith) that the vast majority of the players are ok with the cards the way they are.
Asking only the opinion of those that aren't ok with things, will cause warped view of the subject.

Please don't stop to comment on cards you think are fine (in the relevant thread). I need those people maybe more than those who complain about Taste of Vitae or Earth Meld.

My goal is to get a good evaluation about if the majority of people really think that there are problematic cards around. So the players that don't think so are of major interest for me.

I'd like to settle a dispute here, not to keep away those who like the game as it is.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds