file Hear the rumor about the WoD Living Card Game?

15 Mar 2013 04:30 #46087 by direwolf
I have always thought that the game mechanics of the New World of Darkness was better than the old.

At the same time, players prefer the lore of the Old World of Darkness over the new.

Wouldn't it be a total win if you could have your cake and eat it too? Try taking the lore from the oWoD, and use the game mechanics of the nWoD.

A single political system, where the Camarilla, Sabbat, anarchs and independent clans are at odds with each other, but maneuver within the same political system. (Holy shit, that's like V:tES already!)

"Blood Magics" are not disciplines, instead they are tied to sect or clan. Generation, while not so important in V:tES, but in the tabletop it is a terrible game mechanic. Replace it with Blood Potency. As far as V:tES is concerned, it doesn't matter.

There are clan politics, and there are sect politics and there are city politics. There is room for each in a card game without splitting clans into antitribue.

I am not so interested in a "crossover" WoD card game, but I would welcome a reboot. I don't like everything about the nWoD, but the mechanics are improved and streamlined. I would like to see the same in a card game.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2013 06:15 #46089 by Ashur

Look, we all know that VTES has problems. Disciplines which outstrip the others, unequal rewards for possessing titles, the power gap between 10 and 11 caps, clans that lack an in-clan path to victory. The list could go on and on. We play the game despite these problems, but they do exist.

I absolutely agree with this - there is lots of things that COULD be done in a new game/reboot. One other thing is redesigning combat, which many new players have problem understanding. Combat is also the bit were the somewhat strange card drawing mechanic of VTES comes to show the most, were you play cards just to draw new ones. Intuitively I prefer games were you handle resources more conservative.

That said - VTES is a fantabolous game, and I would prefer the print-on-demand solution and not a new game.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
15 Mar 2013 12:08 #46098 by Lönkka

That said - VTES is a fantabolous game, and I would prefer the print-on-demand solution and not a new game.

Here here!

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
15 Mar 2013 15:36 #46099 by ReverendRevolver
Translating the rpg stuff to vtes wasnt done appropriately. Dominate requires eye contact most of the time. And using it on a higher gen vamp is stupid hard if not impossible. In the fiction, there are umpteen references to not looking a vamp in the eye that is older. Lucita totally makes the younger Tolliver grind his leg to a stump by sticking it on the road while the car they are in is going 90mph. But age and stronger blood, along with varying degrees of contact matter. Deflection is too good to be really tied to lore. Dementations effects are downplayed in vtes, as are certain auspex powers, and the end all be all in vtm of protean is one of the weakest things in vtes.
Dont even get me started on tham and necro. They arent disciplines, but a series of spells and such. Same with tzimitze sorcery, same with shango.
Also, antitribbu is still same clan, and while we are on this route, HoS and the laibon cappadocian decendants are really cappadoccians. The samedi and giovanni are destinct bloodlines though. Also, tbe ishtari are torries and the osebo brujah(see their temperment and flaws is you think the disciplines could mean vice versa) in the same way that kinyoni are ravnos and shango are spell slinging assamites. The akunanse are different enough to just be a bloodline, but still, adhearing is helpful.
Oh, and the gangrel dont suck so bad in vtm.
What im getting at is much of the flawed parts of the game are becauseof not adhering properly to the fluff. HoS gangrel, loads of disciplines... would all be better if closer to vtm fluff.
Now, dont get me started on bloodpotency. Vtr had cool stuff, but shoehorning in malks as a bloodline looking like roxannes discipline spread or as a disease due to fan rage was DUMB. stupider yet was frenzy checks for every new vamp met and most of blood potency`s existance. Power, cool, inability to feed on animals, whatever. But feeding on licks, mandatory torpor, nightmares(hope u know a rare bloodline or have a freehold of lost ready for a century or u remember notbi.g useful) and inability to learn out of clan powers excepting thru diablert? Even tho stock characters have good spreads? Terrible. Wyrd and azoth made perfect sense, the big threes traits sucked and made no sense.
Capacity in vtes is a fine thing, combat is easier than politics, but our flaws are discipline and clan imbalance and difficulty swinging new players, since vtm is oop, and ccp is dragging on thier damn game they killex everything for.
If we get pod, fix imbalances via new sets, and get players due to ccp's mmorpg, we r golden. The new game has little to do with us. Its not a 90s garfeild game. We win.

More
15 Mar 2013 15:48 #46100 by brm130
Part of why I'm optimistic here is that there's no reason to think a new game and the PoD reprints are mutually exclusive. CCP currently licenses oWoD content through Onyx Path and produces nWod content through White Wolf via DriveThru. If the rumors pan out to be true and FFG is working on a nWoD card game, it's not much of a break from the model they're using right now to produce RPG material for both games concurrently.

I mean, if they can make money off two streams of income that cost the company next to no resources, why wouldn't they? One game is already produced, the other's development is outsourced.

More
15 Mar 2013 16:07 - 15 Mar 2013 16:10 #46101 by Ohlmann

Dominate requires eye contact most of the time.

Well dominate 6 is not that hard to get, and can remove this condition. Presence 1 - which may not qualify for presence inf' in the card game - is also a very easy way to get eye contact.

Also, tbe ishtari are torries and the osebo brujah(see their temperment and flaws is you think the disciplines could mean vice versa)

Well, a "clan" is not something well defined in Vampire. If we believe it's a cultural entity (and most clan card are really cultural part more than anything else), Osebo and Ishtarri aren't brujah and toreador. By the way, that's why Clan Impersonation work, and why Vitel is considered Ventrue.

If you believe a clan is a mystical link to the antediluvian, there is a real possibility that Ravnos and Gangrel are the same clan, since Ennoia may well have been embraced by Ravnos. Also, since some mystic event do have created bloodline, why summarily denie this to Harbinger, Osebo, etc ? Some of thoses are mysterious enough, and the Harbinger clearly had a mystical thing imposed on them.

Now, dont get me started on bloodpotency. Vtr had cool stuff, but shoehorning in malks as a bloodline looking like roxannes discipline spread or as a disease due to fan rage was DUMB. stupider yet was frenzy checks for every new vamp met and most of blood potency`s existance.

I completely agree. The blood potency seem a good idea on paper, but in the RPG it's awful and one of the big problem of the nVampire.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2013 16:10 by Ohlmann.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds