file Hear the rumor about the WoD Living Card Game?

15 Mar 2013 22:36 #46109 by Count Orlok
Speaking of lore, I don't quite understand the mechanics for werewolves. From what I can tell from the World of Darkness wiki, they don't have anything approaching disciplines. How could disciplines be adapted from VTES to suit them?

Mages have spheres, and hunters we've already seen, so I'm just curious about garou.

:same: :FOR: :NEC: :THN: :pre: Baron of Berkeley :bl: :cap8:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2013 05:22 #46112 by ReverendRevolver
Garou powers (gifts? I own wtf{appropriate abreviation for anything nwod, imo} but not wta. Second ed isnt as apealing as rev, and its hard to find) are kinda between vampiric disciplines and wraith arcanoi. They have some uses rounded in the physical world and others focused on the spirit world, since they are of both. They interact with thier totem spirits, and can bind spirits to objects making fetishes, and i suppose this is kind of like necro or thaum rituals if you want to have a paralel. Also, physically a garou is just dumb. Its sadly one of the few things that transferred well to both pc games but not so much vtes. They are, as described in clan novel gangrel, a blur of fur and death, even able to rend several neonates like a dog would a box of dead squirrels. In vtes, tbey kind of are on par if you look at remnant or renegade garou, but to be fair, non agg should be regenerated at a rate of one life per round of combat. War ghouls have bones than break justifying thier "armor" that prevents one a round. Tbey are badass, but theo bell can kill 2 in a matter of a minute with his fists while lydia, christoff, and another brujah take that long to kill one, with weapons. A garou has high soak and regenerates fast, plus it should probably get stronger as combat goes on. Not translated right for the game, but a garou costs 5, so regenerating per round still isnt broke.
As far as mental discipli.es translating, dominate has cool cards that dont get played due to cost that are thematically better suited than deflection. But its a staple, so it stays. Dementation needs more non bleed stuff. Tbat doesnt cost 3 blood.
Movement of the mind should be permanent manuvef or press as an action at basic, with the addition of flight at big, and an untap if tbe vamp is 8+ .
But stuff got lost in translation for some powers. We'll take it as it goes i guess...

More
16 Mar 2013 07:09 #46113 by Ashur

By the way, NPC with dominate 6+ aren't rare by any mean.

I don´t know what campaigns you use to run, but according to the lore there should be about 1 vampire in 100,000 humans, there should be about 70,000 vampires in the world. My guess is not more than 5-10 % of those are of 7th or lower generation. And not even half of those have Dominate as clan discipline. Even if it´s attractive, maybe even a must for true powerplayers, to learn Dominate at high levels, it´s not that common.

Say Paris has 100 vamps (it´s a cultural hub). Say 10 of those are 7th gen or lower. Say 3-5 of those have Dominate 6 or higher.

Just saying. It´s up to the Storyteller of course, but "not rare by any means", how do you come to that conclusion?

(This is very off topic, sorry)

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
16 Mar 2013 07:18 #46114 by Ashur

Speaking of lore, I don't quite understand the mechanics for werewolves. From what I can tell from the World of Darkness wiki, they don't have anything approaching disciplines. How could disciplines be adapted from VTES to suit them?

They have gifts and rites and fetishes. And Rage and their different forms. It´s not powers rated 1-5+, but I don´t see any problem adapting this into a streamlined form if you have a little creativity.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
16 Mar 2013 12:12 #46115 by Ohlmann

mmm, if I may ask, isn't exactly what Bonding, Govern the unaligned and far mastery actually do ? :dry:

they give permanent control of a vampire now, with an added view of the player hand and a fetching of uncovered haven on every vampire ? I didn't see the errata. :dry:

Thoses are powerful cards, it's just that they pale in comparison of what do Dominate in the RPG. Auspex and presence also tend to be both very good in vtes and still underrated if we take the RPG rules. Especially the Summoning, which does not require the target to consent, nor to be a normal human

My guess is not more than 5-10 % of those are of 7th or lower generation. And not even half of those have Dominate as clan discipline. Even if it´s attractive, maybe even a must for true powerplayers, to learn Dominate at high levels, it´s not that common.

In other words, in a city of 100 vampires, you have not one, but several important people who can do it. And they will certainly be called upon if the need arise. Even less importants city often have one ; for example, the old prince of Atlanta had dominate 6.

In addition to thoses publics and "young" figure, there is an undisclosed amount of hidden 2000+ years methuselah, who simply alway have domination (see Meneleus, which despite having reached Golconda, having a tribe a werewolf worshipping him, and being relatively uninvolved in the jyhad still have dominate 6...).

So, dominate 6 ain't all that rare. If the plan of a vampire rely on nobody being able to pull that out, he is very likely to have a phone call with mandatory instruction soon enough.

In practice, most people prefer to ignore the power of dominate, presence, auspex, and improve the power of physical discipline because it's way easier to do interesting story this way. But the canon is pretty clear : mental discipline litteraly rule the world.

More
16 Mar 2013 12:49 - 16 Mar 2013 12:50 #46117 by wormhole surfer

Unlikely thing happen all the time.

It's not that your analysis is wrong. It's that miracles happen, generally alway unexpected but more often than what you'd expect. (the last one I seen were when I discovered that Dragon Dice - an even more minor game of the same age than VtES - was still alive and kickin')

The LCG have a potential of being a threat, but it have a slim chance of being a boon. Having a true revival is unlikely but possible. An LCG editor may send cease and desist to revival attempt, but they may also understand this is another game completely, for example because they believe the game and/or the community is useful to them.

When they announced Android: Netrunner there was a fan project to revive the game and they did not ask it to stop. That said it died almost the moment that they released the game as generally considered one of the best games ever made so even the most diehard Netrunner players converted.

i am this guy who wanted to resurrect Netrunner .
I wanted to do a real clean work and have Netrunner resurrected and official .
FFG had the licence before me .. so how could i do without it ?

I had no real choice to stop my project ...

Then i actually play almost 98 % ANdroid: Netrunner why ? not because it is better, but because it has more players and the meta is living and changing fast . The game isn't better, there is no more "No Limit" and "sealed" but is is good . but they made no very big changings ( but a few that are very important) BUT i'd consider theses two games as two separate games: Netrunner for the sealed/no limit and android for the limitation and living meta .

if Vtes LCG would change Vtes too much then the difference would be bigger than it is actually with Netrunner so you would have to consider these games as two games too . will it make WoD lcg better, worst ? don't know we will have to see but if there is a separation in the community( that didn't happended that much in NR) then it would be sad since the new WoD lcg will completly ruin the chance to se a real VTES returning.

my 2 cts ( and sorry for my english)
Last edit: 16 Mar 2013 12:50 by wormhole surfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds