file New, less predictable, format for tournaments?

27 Apr 2011 10:39 #3814 by Ashur
We don´t seem to get any new VTES cards, at least for a while. But what about a new, serious format for tournaments? I´m talking about a solid format that can be played alongside the normal one, permanent, indefinitely.

I´m bored of the same extreme, cheesy decks all the time. Ashur Tablets, Liquidation, Villein, imbued, the same combos, boring, monotomous deck archetypes over and over again, not seldom with 15+ copies of certain cards (earth meld, aid from bats, kindred spirits etc etc). Everything is so predictable, and it seems only a small fraction of the cards in the game ever see play.

I would like to play more tables that more are like limited format-tables, and less like "Aha, I´m betweeen deck archetype A and deck archetype B, I know how this will work out". I want more experiences like "You played a WHAT?!" and less experiences like "Oh, you play Villein and tap your Lilith´s Blessing AGAIN, *falls asleep of unexitement*".

Do anyone agree?

Wouldn´t it be nice with some kind of new format? I´m not exactly sure on what though, but something that makes decks more toolboxy and less predictable. I´m not sure, but maybe a banned/restricted list? Or a card limit? Or caps on certain "types" of cards in a single deck? (God knows how that would work though) Or some kind of semi-collective format, where you bring a 70 card deck plus 20 generic cards that any minion could play? (Wow, now I´m improvising! Better sign off...)

Any ideas?

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2011 15:52 #3822 by Randy
Next time we play we could but a 3 or 4 card limit to see how the decks would do differently.

But this gives advantage to sneakbleed...

Prince of Lidingö

More
27 Apr 2011 19:13 #3831 by david.tatu
I have always wanted to do a Dark Ages event. No "modern" cards like .44 or sport bike, no thrown cars or WMRH. That sort of thing. Then try to identify vamps that are only 500 years young and not use any of them them. Not sure how it would all work and never had the time to create the list of allowable cards.

David Tatu
V:EKN Scribe

More
27 Apr 2011 19:24 #3832 by Kushiel
Rather than limiting the number of any individual card (ie, classic card limits), which doesn't work for VTES because of the large number of duplicate effects available on different cards, the way to force toolboxization is to limit the number of card types. So no more than 16 action modifiers, no more than 16 actions, no more than 16 reactions, etc. That's just a random number, so I'm not sure it would work, but the theory should be sound if you can get anyone to agree to play it.

And if you really want to force toolboxization, consider adding cardtype minimums as well as maximums. Every deck must contain 4-16 action modifiers, 4-16 combat cards, 0-2 events, etc. (Again, numbers chosen at random rather than based on what would or wouldn't work.)

More
27 Apr 2011 21:17 - 27 Apr 2011 21:26 #3835 by Boris The Blade

And if you really want to force toolboxization, consider adding cardtype minimums as well as maximums. Every deck must contain (...) 4-16 combat cards,

4 Swallowed by the night. Problem solved :whistle:
Last edit: 27 Apr 2011 21:26 by Boris The Blade.

More
27 Apr 2011 21:27 #3837 by Adonai

We don´t seem to get any new VTES cards, at least for a while. But what about a new, serious format for tournaments?

Any ideas?

Draft.
I recommend it highly.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds