file New, less predictable, format for tournaments?

28 Apr 2011 04:44 #3855 by Ashur
Draft is fun, but has some bad sides. It cost money. You can´t always get the boosters you want. I´m sure you get what I mean with the original post.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2011 04:46 #3856 by Ashur
Yes, this is maybe the way to go. Forced toolboxation by cardtype mininums/maximums. I will give it some thought.

More
28 Apr 2011 04:51 #3857 by Ashur
Mmm, this is surely works as a theme event, but I don´t really know why it should be that fun or help versus the problem I stated :) And also as a theme, it is kind of weird considering the capacity-age-generation-relations in the game world.

There are many great theme event-ideas, but I was going for something "permanent", like that other unnameable cardgame we all know (Classic, Vintage etc)

More
28 Apr 2011 05:14 - 28 Apr 2011 05:16 #3858 by Mephistopheles

We don´t seem to get any new VTES cards, at least for a while. But what about a new, serious format for tournaments? I´m talking about a solid format that can be played alongside the normal one, permanent, indefinitely.

I´m bored of the same extreme, cheesy decks all the time. Ashur Tablets, Liquidation, Villein, imbued, the same combos, boring, monotomous deck archetypes over and over again, not seldom with 15+ copies of certain cards (earth meld, aid from bats, kindred spirits etc etc). Everything is so predictable, and it seems only a small fraction of the cards in the game ever see play.

I would like to play more tables that more are like limited format-tables, and less like "Aha, I´m betweeen deck archetype A and deck archetype B, I know how this will work out". I want more experiences like "You played a WHAT?!" and less experiences like "Oh, you play Villein and tap your Lilith´s Blessing AGAIN, *falls asleep of unexitement*".

Do anyone agree?

Any ideas?

We had a very exciting idea a couple of years ago. We organized a league and designed our own "gehenna effects". For each round we drew one of these gehenna sheets a few days before so people could build there decks according to them. Each table starts with the effect active right away.

Here is am example:

One of the effects was that each vampire may rush any vampire of a different sect than it's own. Of course people shifted towards combat. I could't join that particular event but I had built a weenie celerity (there were no Ashurs at that time) with 15 masters and 75 combat cards (including the .44 Magnum). My friend Cipo won that round with this deck.

Another such effect was that during each players untap phase the smallest capacity vampire on the table goes to torpor. In case of a tie none goes. That was also a cool game. Lot's of Humanitas, Catacombs etc played. Could now imagine Recure from the Homeland being used...

So you get the idea. It's really up to your creativity only...

NC for Hungary

hunfragment.blogspot.com
Last edit: 28 Apr 2011 05:16 by Mephistopheles.

More
28 Apr 2011 05:41 #3864 by Loughman
Try a 40 card deck, 1 card limit, 1 recursion. It gets the flavor of draft without the incurred expense. You might also consider doing away with Grouping but make each crypt card a 1 card limit as well.

More
28 Apr 2011 06:47 #3870 by elotar
My current position is that you'll greatly change the meta by just banning/errating Villein, Govern & Parity.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds