file New, less predictable, format for tournaments?

28 Apr 2011 15:30 - 28 Apr 2011 15:37 #3913 by brandonsantacruz

We don´t seem to get any new VTES cards, at least for a while. But what about a new, serious format for tournaments? I´m talking about a solid format that can be played alongside the normal one, permanent, indefinitely.

I´m bored of the same extreme, cheesy decks all the time. Ashur Tablets, Liquidation, Villein, imbued, the same combos, boring, monotomous deck archetypes over and over again, not seldom with 15+ copies of certain cards (earth meld, aid from bats, kindred spirits etc etc). Everything is so predictable, and it seems only a small fraction of the cards in the game ever see play.

I would like to play more tables that more are like limited format-tables, and less like "Aha, I´m betweeen deck archetype A and deck archetype B, I know how this will work out". I want more experiences like "You played a WHAT?!" and less experiences like "Oh, you play Villein and tap your Lilith´s Blessing AGAIN, *falls asleep of unexitement*".

Do anyone agree?

Wouldn´t it be nice with some kind of new format? I´m not exactly sure on what though, but something that makes decks more toolboxy and less predictable. I´m not sure, but maybe a banned/restricted list? Or a card limit? Or caps on certain "types" of cards in a single deck? (God knows how that would work though) Or some kind of semi-collective format, where you bring a 70 card deck plus 20 generic cards that any minion could play? (Wow, now I´m improvising! Better sign off...)

Any ideas?

A few quick ideas:

"If a card that you play would give you pool, gain half the amount rounding up instead."
"A card may only be played once each combat"
"Any card that would give an action more than +1 bleed costs an additional blood"
"If a card is played that changes the target of a bleed, tap the reacting minion(if any)."
"A vampire with a capacity less than 5 can not bleed for more than 2. Any bleed in excess of 2 is ignored in that case."
"Any ally that leaves the ready region is burned."

Edited the first suggestion to make Life Boon more playable. Extremis Boon is still crap. Sorry, Ian!

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
Last edit: 28 Apr 2011 15:37 by brandonsantacruz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2011 15:52 #3914 by Ashur

A potentially enjoyable event might be, everyone shows up with two decks, a coin flip determines the deck they play round one. Then round two, you play your prey's unplayed deck, obviously, this would not work for large events as people would be worried about missing cards and shit.

Yes, this I like. Didn´t the ECs have something similar one year? Like you brought a deck and someone else played it and then you got points for both your result and your decks? (I might remember this wrong)

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
28 Apr 2011 16:02 #3915 by Ashur

We don´t seem to get any new VTES cards, at least for a while. But what about a new, serious format for tournaments? I´m talking about a solid format that can be played alongside the normal one, permanent, indefinitely.

Try Rapid Thought Revised: members.cox.net/kjm1971/RapidThoughtRevised.txt

I like this. A question though: Why the 3-player tables? Isn´t the banned bloat cards and the 45 minutes enough to speed up the games?

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
28 Apr 2011 18:10 #3926 by Temporis
Another option that I would recommend people trying, particularly those of you wanting to encourage more toolbox type formats, is LSJ's Phased Motion Format variant of V:TES. Its not quite the same game, due to the turn order being variable/malleable, but it provides a signifcant disadvantage to most focused decks (although wall decks remain something of a problem). My local V:TES group play it on occasion and we had discussed the possibility of a Phased Motion tournament sometime ago. Well worth trying out if you are looking for a change or interested in some of LSJ's ideas about alternative mechanics.

There is a copy of the rules on the Lasombra's site under Variants. Phased Motion Format

More
28 Apr 2011 20:22 - 28 Apr 2011 20:22 #3931 by Adonai

I like this. A question though: Why the 3-player tables? Isn´t the banned bloat cards and the 45 minutes enough to speed up the games?

Three player tables eliminate the cross table turns that don't effect you.
They also take an extra 40+ minutes out of the game because everyone's turn always matters to you so you're always paying attention.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2011 20:22 by Adonai.

More
29 Apr 2011 05:59 #3937 by elotar

I don't quite get it. Nana 4 the win?

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds