file New, less predictable, format for tournaments?

28 Apr 2011 06:50 #3871 by Mephistopheles
Actually this whole thing seems like a European problem only. Just look at many of those TWD from the U.S.!!! 50%-70% of them are worse decks than the average preconstructed decks (from an European point of view, ofc). Still they have awesome players and maybe more fun than we with our tier1 sickness...

NC for Hungary

hunfragment.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2011 06:52 #3872 by KevinM

We don´t seem to get any new VTES cards, at least for a while. But what about a new, serious format for tournaments? I´m talking about a solid format that can be played alongside the normal one, permanent, indefinitely.

Try Rapid Thought Revised: members.cox.net/kjm1971/RapidThoughtRevised.txt

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
28 Apr 2011 07:01 #3873 by Joscha

We had a very exciting idea a couple of years ago. We organized a league and designed our own "gehenna effects". For each round we drew one of these gehenna sheets a few days before so people could build there decks according to them. Each table starts with the effect active right away.

That's a cool idea worth a try!

I highly recommend Draft, as you really see cards played you never see elsewhere. You can also invent special rules for the Tournament (like the ones Meph' suggested). Draft is the main source of diversity of played cards. If money is a problem you could (with a bit of work although) design your own "boosters" out of your stock of cards. Or all participants bring along the same number of cards (then mostly commons I think) and you cut all cards into "boosters". What about every Meth. brings along two Blood Dolls he can keep?

N.B. I'm wondering if the tournaments you participate are really that boring? I'm lucky to play in a tournament-scene with wildly different decks. Yes, you see powerful Tier-1s too. But there are many people who build different decks, which is cool.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
28 Apr 2011 08:19 #3876 by extrala
Kevin: Just because I am curious .. why are Shared Nightmare and Taunt the Caged Beast on the watchlist for the Rapid Thought tournament rules?

Totally unrelated to this question: I really would like to play a Rapid Thought tournament anytime soon. Just to see how/if it works and if it's a viable alternative. 45 minutes, my gosh!

More
28 Apr 2011 08:26 #3877 by extrala
Martin: The idea with the Gehenna type event is in fact very, very similar to the Prophecy League rules. It had 12 different "events" (the prophecies of which two were in effect in the 11 different games/stages of the league.

More
28 Apr 2011 08:27 #3878 by Mephistopheles
@Ralf: thanks for the link. Now I realized that we actually did play this, just added some own ideas to it. It was fun.

NC for Hungary

hunfragment.blogspot.com

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds