file Hear the rumor about the WoD Living Card Game?

12 Mar 2013 10:16 #46026 by brm130
My understanding is that nWoD was created as a whole, with the power levels and themes to be more in-line with one another and more cross-over friendly. There's no Pentex per se, but there's no overarching metaplot that affects what happens at your table. (Ie: Whole vampire clans don't disappear.)

nHunter has a lot of overlap, and is about Hunters Hunted style "normal" hunters facing the rest of the nWoD. WtF has no huge overarching fight against the Wyrm, the VtR vampires are less pervasive in the world of mortals. They did away with a lot of things that made it harder to rationalize / understand crossover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2013 18:40 #46033 by ReverendRevolver
The nwod: i ran games of changeling and requiem, i bought all the cores until geist, which i srill havent bothered with, and i have all the ctl line and plan to someday pick up all of promethean.
Th core three games SUCK. They are terrible compared to the originals. Vampires junk, mage backwards, and werewolf cool because ur not fuzzy powerrangers, but lame because theres small point, other than fighting the unwinnable war with the pure, or smashimg spiders and rats.

Now the sidegames are freaking golden. Changeling is bar none the best ww game not called vampire the masquerade. Hunter is great, bezt feel possible for such a thng, and promethean is amazing, and
would be even betterif disquiet were different by a hair.
Dice zytem is hot, at times better than owod system.
The supernatural trait system reaks of crossover intent, and made powers a tad easier in crossovers, but little else.

A game like is described could work with nwod, at least more than anything else. But to be logical would imbalance it. I fail to see a point in it, in the long run. And like i said, i have invezted in nearly all the cores, and love ctl; i have the ctl logo tattooed on my knee even. But im not digging the idea of this potential game. Maybe some game using all the nwod stuff, but not like this. The sidegames were leaps better than the cores, so each player having a faction is dumb to me. Maybe splitting stuff by faxtion or some sort of numbered system for"crypt" i could like, if cards were right, suck as powers and such, along with durability, but im remaining not that optimistic.

Id play a ctl game with crossover stuff in it, but im not excited on this. I just want MY game back in print.

More
13 Mar 2013 10:09 #46043 by Shockwave
A very simple thought for you:

VTES should be alarmed if any LCG did exist, because it probably would represent a very real possibility of killing VTES stone dead. Even if it wasn't perceived as a direct 'replacement' by the players, any developer or publisher would be almost forced to pursue cease & desist against any third party development of VTES if nothing else but to protect the IP, whether it was intended by VEKN or not.

It'd almost certainly ensure you never saw the game resurface officially ever again.

:AUS: :FOR: :VAL: Here we go again....
Dave Knowles (Advanced)
Sabbat Bishop of Manchester
The following user(s) said Thank You: extrala, Silmegil, Reyda

More
13 Mar 2013 14:15 #46047 by LordNat

A very simple thought for you:

VTES should be alarmed if any LCG did exist, because it probably would represent a very real possibility of killing VTES stone dead. Even if it wasn't perceived as a direct 'replacement' by the players, any developer or publisher would be almost forced to pursue cease & desist against any third party development of VTES if nothing else but to protect the IP, whether it was intended by VEKN or not.

It'd almost certainly ensure you never saw the game resurface officially ever again.

When has a dead CCG ever officially resurfaced? I will agree their might be issues with fan expansions of V:TES but we have kind of seen how that has been going as of late.
V:TES is dead at this point anyway. It might scoot along for awhile like Rage did but even they had a few fan sets out by now. Nothing stop anyone for playing with the cards they have but at this point it is better to just hope for something new with the same core ideas of V:TES to come along to improve on it and draw in a new chunk of players. V:TES as it is will likely never draw in new people and that just means the heat death of the game.

More
13 Mar 2013 14:27 - 13 Mar 2013 14:28 #46048 by Ohlmann

When has a dead CCG ever officially resurfaced? I will agree their might be issues with fan expansions of V:TES but we have kind of seen how that has been going as of late.

Amusingly, the best example I know is VtES, which was all but dead between Sabbat and Sabbat War. It was pick again by White Wolf before dying again. (of course, they were an actual firm behind the revival)

I think believing that VtES cannot rise is realistic, but may very well be wrong in the end. Never underestimate the power of a good game.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2013 14:28 by Ohlmann.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

More
13 Mar 2013 15:10 #46049 by LordNat

Amusingly, the best example I know is VtES, which was all but dead between Sabbat and Sabbat War. It was pick again by White Wolf before dying again. (of course, they were an actual firm behind the revival)

I think believing that VtES cannot rise is realistic, but may very well be wrong in the end. Never underestimate the power of a good game.

Ok I will give you that, but White Wolf well really CCP has differing focus at this point. They are banking hard on their MMO working and selling their micro-transactions within it. CCGs are a huge investment on the publishers side so I don't see them really going back into that market with how volatile it can be.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds