file What is missing from VtES?

22 Jan 2017 05:54 - 22 Jan 2017 05:54 #80332 by TwoRazorReign
Fair enough, and very well stated. My only response is that the previous designers seemingly had a different opinion than yours because there are many, many first strike cards that were released over many sets. My guess is they thought the design space was robust enough to merit printing more cards using the effect. And I tend to agree with this mindset. Canine Horde does have a niche even at the highest level of competition, and perhaps a future niche could be created.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2017 05:54 by TwoRazorReign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2017 09:03 #80334 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic What is missing from VtES?

....experience ... - would be improved by eliminating First Strike. And Imbued. And Red List. And Events. And possibly some other stuff.

! :)

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
22 Jan 2017 14:34 #80338 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic What is missing from VtES?

it's not complicated, but it's small stone that, together with all the other small, rarely used rules (f.e. cold iron vulnerability, slave, reserach area and many others), creates a big avalanche which makes this game new player-unfriendly

I can´t really agree with this. These minor rules isn´t the main problems with teaching people VTES. Most isn´t even complicated at all.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
22 Feb 2017 23:36 #80808 by TwoRazorReign

Let's put it that way: making FS "faster" than S:CE = new mini-set of 6-8 cards which will add options for assamite, !gangrel and blocking gargoyles combat.

What not to like here?

Thing is, this can be solved with designing "Weatherstorm" like cards. Effects that trigger before/during the maneuver phase. If you want it to cost a strike, then simply state "this minion cannot strike this round" on the card.

Changing FS in the rulebook kinda makes cards like "Canine Horde" and even "Fast Hands" a bit too powerful.

I agree, logic wise FS in current form is weird, but legacy creates problems in game balance for it to change.

Going back to this old thread, I didn't realize until now what the fuss is over first strike. Unbeknownst to me, the term "first strike" is used in another very popular game that I don't play. I think, when people see first strike in VTES, they expect for it to behave the same way it does in the other game. It does not behave that way, so people don't think it's logical and want to change it so it behaves that way.

I believe changing the mechanic of first strike is not necessary at all. But the name of the mechanic should be changed. Instead of first strike, call it "sucker strike," kind of like a sucker punch. This way, the idea behind the mechanic is conveyed properly (it's not actually first, just a fortuitous strike in certain combat situations). Perhaps with the name change, people will generally accept the mechanic as a staple part of VTES instead of getting stuck on trying to modify it.

More
15 May 2017 02:41 #81849 by jtroyve
Replied by jtroyve on topic What is missing from VtES?
i'm a little late in the party, but as a long time Assamite player, who has moved on to other strategies...

what is so hard to understand about first strike? i've read the whole thread, and the only thing that makes it hard to understand is the ruling that SCE and Dodge defeats FS.

ask a 5 year old (i exaggerate). what does "first strike" mean? first to strike. so enter combat-> before range-> maneuvers-> first strikes -> strikes -> end of round (presses/etc)

i don't really think it'll make combat overpowered.

also. canine hordes could probably jump onto the lear jet's engine and incapacitate it.

More
03 Jun 2017 14:37 #82095 by self biased
First Strike is confusing because Strike: Combat Ends resolves before it.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds